• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

reasons to avoid refined sugars/carbs

you mean 150kgs? because 150lbs is hella normal for your height.

anyway... carbs aren't intrinsically bad, they are converted to glucose for the body to use just like protein and fats. the only difference is that simple carbs, like sugars, have to travel down fewer metabolic pathways for that conversion to take place, meaning the energy becomes accessible a lot quicker than the energy from other foods.

the problem with that is if your body isn't doing work that consumes all the energy being provided within about a day, the glucose flying around your bloodstream settles down as fat.

ultimately, that same thing can happen with any other food you eat, so the best solution is not to cut out carbs completely but rather to replace the simple carbs with complex carbs, eat smaller meals and count calories to develop a good baseline for how many you need to keep you awake throughout the day, then once you have that dialed in just avoid eating more calories and the daily exercise will start to show its progress.

Yeah dont stop the carbs. But if you can stop eating white carbs like pasta and white bread and stuff like drinking sugar (soda.juice) which causes a spike in insulin levels, a hormone that shuttles glucose into muscle AND fat.

Look up the slow-carb diet. You still get carbs from legumes and veggies, and you will get cut! But start lifting weights seriously and it will come off that much faster.
Seriously slow carb will get your abs showing- i've been on it for about 2 weeks and already my abs are showing, lost a couple percent bodyfat and still keeping up calories and weights.

alright i looked up the slow-carb diet and ill be starting it ASAP, what have ur personal results been? and this is mainly what i came across- is it what u were talkin bout?

Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again

Rule #3: Don’t drink calories

Rule #4: Take one day off per week

Here's a better way to think of it:

Ask your mom to get whole wheat bread for the house (or dad, or whoever), tell them the benefits of eating whole grains, etc. Then, instead of drinking say, soda, try a fruit smoothie. It still fills you up (if there are some chunky pieces) so you aren't "wasting" the calories. Next, do some exercise, but focus on changing your lifestyle to *incorporate* better foods instead of *avoiding* bad foods. It's a better outlook when you think that way.

Everything that you put into your body has an effect on you. If you put in good things-- whole, unprocessed foods, mostly vegetables, and mostly uncooked foods, you'll live longer (unless you're hit by a bus), feel better, and look better (a great indication of your health is your shit and you skin).

What do refined sugar do for your body? Well, they turn into fat, increase your chance for diabetes, and often result in skin conditions like acne. Once you cut out unhealthy foods for a period of time, you'll naturally desire healthy foods instead-- your body knows what is healthy and what is not.

:)

Everything that you put into your body has an effect on you. If you put in good things-- whole, unprocessed foods, mostly vegetables, and mostly uncooked foods, you'll live longer (unless you're hit by a bus), feel better, and look better (a great indication of your health is your shit and you skin).

What do refined sugar do for your body? Well, they turn into fat, increase your chance for diabetes, and often result in skin conditions like acne. Once you cut out unhealthy foods for a period of time, you'll naturally desire healthy foods instead-- your body knows what is healthy and what is not.

:)

ahh good way to think of it:) thanks

holdupp, if thats the case then why do i know people who eat TONS of crap yet still look good? like thier in-shape and skin looks fine (you know those people)

The slow carb diet has been working for me. Very well. About 2 weeks ago i didnt really have any abdominal definition at all and now im sporting a 4 pack. never had a serious 6 pack before so looking forward to that and i know this will get me there. And im still around 160-2 lbs in the am, so no weight loss yet, but about an inch off the waist.
Had edamame shrimp and spinach for dinner. I eat tons of eggs now.
Been craving refined carbs like a moffo, had to get a mcmuffin this morning. But besides that works really well, you save lots of money on food and solidify healthy eating habits. On the realz, our ancestors RARELY had fruit and stuff to eat all the time. We evolved on meat/legumes/veggies

holdupp, if thats the case then why do i know people who eat TONS of crap yet still look good? like thier in-shape and skin looks fine (you know those people)

Metabolism and young age. I've lived on junk food with little exercise in the past and still kept my weight down (I was actually losing weight at one time) and been acne-free. Doesn't make it healthy, who knows what hidden damage it's done. There's no family history of diabetes, acne or weight problems in my family though apart from one person who is very far removed from me genetically, so I'm not worried, but it's still a possibility.

I've recently started cutting out all white bread/pasta myself, and now my refined carb intake is strictly limited to occasional binges on sugar (my blood sugar often drops very low, inexplicably, and I get a massive craving for carbs). I'm finding that my meal times are becoming more regular (snacking is rarely needed) and even my sleep patterns are improving, though I've been actively working on those so that may be unrelated.

Last edited:

being young allows you to do many things that most people can't get away with... enjoy it :|

They cause fermentation in the gut too.

this is toxic to the body in a number of ways. if your intestines are toxic, your bloodstream and thus whole body is toxic. most colds/flus are not the result of contact with germs, but people's whose bodies have become so toxic from poor diet, lack of sunlight, resulting immuno defenses are preoccupied with invasions via the skin, mouth, eyes, etc, and when you add a toxic colon on top of that, its like a huge breach in the wall of the fortress.

you also cant really digest really sweet things and complex carbs at the same time. complex carbs require a lot of digestion in the stomach, while simple sugars pass right on through the stomach and are processed in the upper regions of the small intestine. the end result is either fermented sugars passing through the whole gut, incompletely digested (and thus putrid/decaying) chunks of complex carbs passing through the gut, or both. this results in accumulated toxicity throughout the entire body.

THEN think of the chemical processing required to produce these refined sugars or starches or partial grain flours, etc. SUGAR ISNT WHITE! its bleached. do you really think 100% of all the chemical agents required to bleach a refined carb is removed during processing? the FDA allows a certain amount of toxic chemical waste in your food for this reason: its impossible to remove it 100%. then consider the irradiation processes many/all of these foods go through - exposed to radiation to preserve its shelf life! all of the phytonutrients (those actually remaining from the other chemical processing) are completely annihilated, and some of the "vitamins and minerals" are "refortified" in order to give your food an inkling of nutrition. these refortified chemicals are vitamins produced in some dusty grimey factory in central asia or who knows. in every packet of pure white sugar, youre going to have a certain percentage of toxic chemical waste, radiation, preservatives, etc, which all have a heavy impact on health in even small doses. think of what is happening to your cells if this is what theyre fed every single day.

wouldnt u just rather get your vitamins, minerals, nutrients, etc, from some cellular activity that has 1 billion years of evolutionary engineering behind it? why strip it all out on some factory conveyor belt?

refined carbs also do things like kill intestinal cilia, cling to intestinal cilia and reduce absorption rates of nutrition, and cause the cellular consumption and production of energy to become "confused." certain faux-sugars, or improper levels of various sugars at the same time, or even artificial sugars, send the wrong chemical signals to the brain which in turn causes improper conversion of food into fats, especially fat on certain organs, and cause improper levels of insulin in the blood.

the effects are pretty complex, from something as simple as a sugar molecule hitting the tounge. if you trick the brain into thinking its getting (just making up some silly variables here) 0x99AHcQ and instead it gets 0x99AHckJ, the overall machine has some confused effects down to the quantum level.

nature never made a honey smoked ham sandwich. nature also never made any high fructose corn syrup. ever seen any refined white flower pancakes with corn syrup based "maple" syrup out there growing in a bush? thats cuz they dont exist, silly humans naive to their bodies invented those things. the problem is, you have hundreds of thousands of years evolving with a diet that doesnt include these refined carbohydrates, and in just 60 years, were seeing how bad they really are for our digestive system.

being young allows you to do many things that most people can't get away with... enjoy it :|

yah and when they get "old" theyre hobbled over, have heart problems, diabetes, arthritis, joint inflammation, have part of their thyroid removed, are getting screened for colon cancer every year, had a gallbladder removed a year ago...

Probably isn't true for everyone but they are majorly bad for anyone with gut issues. I have leaky gut/candida/food intolerance issues which the main symptom when that flares is nasty skin problems. I can't eat even a spoonful of sugar in my coffee without getting a huge breakout on my face. Other grains and carbs like rice have the same effect although not so acute. It took me giving up ALL grains and any sort of sugar aside from honey and fruit in order to get the nasty breakouts and other autoimmune symptoms *anxiety, depression, other skin rashes, digestive issues* to stop.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

^This site and that book explain a lot about all of this and following her diet (minus the cheese and yogurt because I don't eat dairy) were the start of my healing process. I'd already known I reacted to gluten and other grains but this took my understanding of what was going on inside of me to a whole new level.

yah and when they get "old" theyre hobbled over, have heart problems, diabetes, arthritis, joint inflammation, have part of their thyroid removed, are getting screened for colon cancer every year, had a gallbladder removed a year ago...

Yeah... people always are like "I eat this and that and I feel great!" and they have no idea what will happen to them in the future. In a way I'm very grateful I got seriously life threateningly ill so young, it enabled me to learn so much valuable stuff. :)

the main symptom when that flares is nasty skin problems. I can't eat even a spoonful of sugar in my coffee without getting a huge breakout on my face.

SHit that sounds BAD - I never considered someone's candidiasis was more severe than myself, because I've never known anyone else who had it.

:( that sucks.

I ate the same shit that every kid does, but I only approached being out of shape, and I'm in great shape now because I constantly exercised. It was only later, around the age of 22, when I realized that what I ate had a big impact on my body. You don't have to eat wheat-grass and sunshine straight from the womb, but obviously its better to get on track early if you want to avoid those problems you talked about. :)

nature never made a honey smoked ham sandwich. nature also never made any high fructose corn syrup. ever seen any refined white flower pancakes with corn syrup based "maple" syrup out there growing in a bush? thats cuz they dont exist, silly humans naive to their bodies invented those things. the problem is, you have hundreds of thousands of years evolving with a diet that doesnt include these refined carbohydrates, and in just 60 years, were seeing how bad they really are for our digestive system.
For many people though, it's going to take a LOT longer than sixty years for them to wake. up. and realize what they're doing to themselves.

I was talking with a classmate (we're studying dietetics [nutrition]) about how I'd rather have a predictable diet of whole foods than all the food-like products in the world... Their reply? "Oh, I could never do that. I like (food-like product) too much."

im diggin the responses guys, thanks so much!

i havent had any candy/white bread/anything simple-carby since sunday and honestly i feel alot more energetic. im still gonna take a day off (saturday) and eat some crap, but follow it up with an intense workout.

once again thanks for the replys everyone!